Total Lecture: 100 Hrs
Exam Time: 3 Hrs.
Total marks: 150
Oral / Practical: 30
Introduction to Exercise therapy, Principles, techniques and general areas of its application, Assessment & its importance.
Description of fundamental starting positions and derive position including joint positions, muscle work, stability, effects and uses.
Introduction to Movements including analysis of joint motion, muscle work and Neuro – muscular co – ordination.
Classification of movements – Description of the types, technique of application, indications, contraindications, effects and uses of the following:
|a)||Active movement||b)||Passive movement|
|c)||Active assisted movement||d)||Resisted movement|
|e)||To study the principles, techniques of application, indication, Contraindication, precaution, effects and uses of Suspension Therapy.|
Manual Muscle Testing:
- Principles and application techniques of Manual muscle testing.
- Testing position, procedure and grading of muscles of the upper limb, lower limb and trunk.
- Goniometre and its types
- Principles, techniques and application of Goniometry
- Testing position, procedure and measurement of ROM of the joints of upper limbs, lower limbs and trunk.
Soft Tissue Manipulation (Therapeutic Massage): History, various types of soft tissue manipulation techniques.Physiological effects of soft tissue manipulation on the following systems of the body: Circulatory, Nervous, Musculoskeletal, Excretory, Respiratory, Integumentary system and Metabolism.
Classify, define and describe: – effleurage, stroking, kneading, petrissage, deep friction, vibration and shaking etc.
Preparation of patient Effects, uses, indications and contraindications of the above manipulation.
Introduction to motor learning
- Classification of motor skills.
- Measurement of motor performance.
Introduction to motor control
- Theories of motor control.
- Learning of Skill.
- Instruction & augmented feed back.
- Practice conditions.
Relaxation & Therapeutic Gymnasium
- Describe relaxation, muscle fatigue, muscle spasm and tension (mental & physical).
- Factors contributing to fatigue & tension.
- Techniques of relaxation (local and general).
- Effects, uses & clinical application
- Indication & contraindication.
- Set-up of a gymnasium & its importance.
- Various equipments in the gymnasium.
- Operational skills, effects & uses of each equipment.
To practice all the soft tissue manipulative techniques region wise – upper limb, lower limb, neck, back and face.
To practice the measurement of ROM of joints – upper limb, lower limb & trunk.
To practice the grading of muscle strength region wise– upper limb, lower limb and trunk.
To study the position of joints, muscle work, and stability of various fundamental and derived positions.
To study the different types of muscle contraction, muscle work, group action of muscles and co-ordinated movements.
To practice the various types of suspension therapy and its application on various parts of body – region wise.
To study & practice local & general relaxation techniques.
To study the structure & function along with application of various equipment in a gymnasium.