PHYSIOTHERAPY IN NEUROLOGY AND PEDIATRIC
Total Lecture: 100 Hrs
Exam time: 3 Hrs.
Total marks: 150
Oral / Practical: 30
- Review of Applied neuroanatomy and physiology.
- Normal motor control.
- Abnormities of muscle tone and movement.
- Review of pathological changes and principle of management by physiotherapy of the following conditions:
- Stroke, Spinal cord injury, Tabes dorsalis, cerebellar ataxia, extra pyramidal lesions, Gullian Barre Syndrome, Parkinsonism.
- Disseminated sclerosis, Amgotrophic lateral sclerosis, Syringomyela subacute combined degeneration of cord motor neuron disease.
- Peripheral Nerve and cranial Nerve lesion e.g. Bell’s palsy.
- Neuritis and Neuralgia – Brachial plexus injury, sciatica etc.
- Infections,- Poliomyelitis, Encephalitis, Polyneuritis Transverse myelitis.
- Traumatic head injuries and spinal cord injury.
- Principles of physiotherapy assessment and outcome measures.
- Knowledge of various investigative procedures (invasive & noninvasive) used in the diagnosis of various neurological disorders
- Review of Subjective and Objective Assessment of neurological patient.
- Examination of Neurological disorders and principles of treatment.
- Theoretical basis of treatment concepts.
-Issues of motor control,
-Classic treatment approaches.
- Musculoskeletal treatment concepts applied to neurology.
-Adverse neural tension
- Muscle imbalance
- Specific treatment techniques
- Facilitation, Inhabitation, Exercise and movement, electrical stimulation, other techniques Rood, and Bobath,
- Physical management of abnormal tone and movement.
- Postural management in neurological rehabilitation.
- Splinting and the use of orthosis in the management of patients with neurological disorders.
- Review about neurosurgical conditions, their complications and management in different stages such as- ICU, acute and chronic stage.
Review of pathological changes and principle of pre and postoperative management by physiotherapy of the following conditions:
- Common surgeries of the cranium & brain.
- Common surgeries of vertebral column & spinal cord.
- Common surgeries of peripheral nerves.
- Surgical interventions in traumatic head injuries.
- Review of normal neonatal development
- The senses
- Motor behavior
- Primitive reflex
- Postural reactions
2.Abnormal neonatal sign
- The senses
- Motor behavior
- Handling in the neonatal period
- Early intervention
- Handling and management
- Basic principles of development
- Sequence of development
- Assessing the level of development
- The normal development in the first to fifth year
- Gross motor development
- Fine Motor,
- Abnormal development first to fifth year following various paediatric conditions
- Review of the common Congenital & acquired musculo skeletal, neuromuscular disorders, Congenital & acquired Cardio- pulmonary disorders, Congenital & acquired neurological (CNS & PNS), Hereditary disorders, & development disorders.
- Assessment, diagnosis, setting goals, Continuation of the assessment (SOAP), and other relevant documentation.
- Principal of physiotherapy management using different treatment approaches e.g., Bobath, Conductive education, PNF, Rood etc
10.The common equipment, prescription of equipment and their use.