Total Lecture: 100 Hrs
Exam time: 3 Hrs.
Total marks: 150
Oral / Practical: 30
1.Review musculoskeletal anatomy of the Spine, Surface marking and palpation.
- The subjective and objective assessment .The subjective assessment will include –
- History of present complaint
- Past medical history,
- Drug history,
- Social history,
- Special questions, (contraindications) and
- Special tests
- Radiological tests such as x-rays.
The objective assessment will include- General and local observations, postural observation, and appropriate range of movement, neurological testing, special tests and palpation.
3.The Maitland and McKenzie concepts with reference to their use in patient assessment.
4.Planning the objective examination from the information given in the subjective assessment, the SIN factor (severity, irritability and nature of the pain).
5.The use of assessment forms and body charts.
6.Finding an objective sign.
7.Contraindications to treatments.
8.Use of palpation and quadrants, grades, range and resistance and interpretation of findings.
9.Objective assessment and practical palpation of the cervical spine, thoracic spine, lumbar spine and the sacro-iliac joint.
11.Physiotherapeutic techniques and their practical application including joint mobilisations, soft tissue mobilisations, and soft tissue stretch, spinal traction both manual and mechanical and massage techniques.
Pathology of vertebral column:
- Introduction to Low back pain and its classification.
- Structures producing lower back pain.
- Whiplash and trauma.
- Prolapsed intervertebral disc and disc lesions including juvenile disc lesions.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondylitis, hyper-mobility, hypo-mobility syndrome.
- Neoplasm and osteoporosis.
- Short leg syndrome, cervical rib, acute tuberculosis and Tietze syndrome.
- Multifidus syndrome, Osteochondritis and Schuermans disease.
- Postural abnormalities including kyphosis, lordosis and scoliosis, Torticollis.
- Lumbago, sciatica and sacro iliac joint problems.
- Spondylosis, Spondylolesthesis, spondylolysis, osteitis condensilli and coccydinia.
- Facet locking, headaches, Barne Lieon Syndrome, T4 and C3 Syndromes.