Total Lecture: 50 Hrs
Exam time: 2 Hrs.
Total marks: 100
Oral / Practical: 30
- Normal Aging – Definition, the anatomical, physiological and cognitive changes related to aging.
- Epidemiological and socio- economic impact of aging.
- The examination & assessment of a geriatric patient.
- Musculo skeletal disorders – Etiogenesis, clinical manifestation & principles of management.
- Cardio – pulmonary disorders – Etiogenesis, clinical manifestation & principles of management.
- Neurological disorders (CNS & PNS) – Etiogenesis, clinical manifestation & principles of management.
- Diet & Nutritional requirement of the elderly, Nutritional disorders & their management.
- Burns, Injuries & accident as related to the elderly & preventive care.
- Dementia – Types and principles of management.
- Overview of depressive disorders in the elderly.
- Biologic aging theories and longevity: Biologic theories of aging, factors influencing longevity.
- The body and its age changes: The integumentary system, the musculo-skeletal system, the cardiovascular system, the lymphatic system, the respiratory, the nervous, the digestive, the endocrine and the reproductive system.
- Elder illness and accident: The nature of chronic illness, psychosocial aspect of chronic illness, common condition among elders (acute and chronic), factors increasing accident susceptibility, common types of accident, accident prevention.
- Medication use: Factors affecting medication use, pharmacokinetics, drug interaction, over the counter drug commonly used by elders, adverse effects of medications in elders, alternatives to drugs.
- Mental health and illness: Mental health and illness for elders, types of treatment, mental health service.
- Nutrition: Essential nutrients, malnutrition, obesity, essential dietary components, factor affecting food selection and nutrition programme for elders.
- Physical activity: Component of physical fitness, benefit of physical activity, hazards of in activity, physical activity to reduce chronic illness, physical therapy for elder.
- Examination, subjective and objective assessment of a Geriatric patient.
- Various physiotherapy modalities and treatment techniques for above-mentioned conditions should be demonstrated and practiced.