Total Lecture: 100 Hrs
Exam time: 3 Hrs.
Total marks: 150
Oral / Practical: 30
Electro Physical Principles:
- Structure and properties of matter- solids, liquids and gases, adhesion, surface tension, viscosity, density and elasticity.
- Structure of atom, molecules, elements and compounds.
- Electron theory, static and current electricity.
- Conductors, Insulators, Potential difference, Resistance & Intensity,
- Ohm’s Law- Its application to AC & DC currents.
- Rectifying Devices – Thermionic valves, Semiconductors, Transisters, amplifiers, Oscillator circuits.
- Capacitance, condensers in DC and AC Circuits.
- Display devices & indicators- analogue & digital.
Effects of Current Electricity:
Chemical effects– Ions and electrolytes, lonisation, Production of a E.M.F by chemical actions.
Magnetic effect, Molecular theory of Magnetism, Magnetic fields, Electromagnetic Induction.
Mili ammeter and Voltmeter, Transformers and Choke Coil. thermal Effects – Joule’s Law and Heat production.
Physical Principles of sound and its properties.
Physical Principles of light and its properties.
Electromagnetic spectrum – biophysical application.
- Brief outline of main supply of electric current.
- Dangers – short-circuits, electric shocks.
- Precautions – safety devices, earthing, fuses etc.
- First aid & initial management of electric shock.
Low Frequency Currents:
Introduction to direct, alternating & modified currents.
Production of direct current – Physiological and therapeutic effects of constant current, anodal and cathodal Galvanism, Ionisation and their application in various conditions.
Iontophoresis – Principles of clinical application, indication, contraindication, precaution, operational skills of equipment & patient preparation.
Modified direct current – various pulses, duration and frequency and their effect on Nerve and Muscle tissue. Production of interrupted and surged current & their effects.
Modified direct current – Physiological and therapeutic effects, principles of clinical application, indications, contra indications, precautions, operational skills of equipment & patient preparation.
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation’s (TENS):
- Types of Low Frequency, pulse widths, frequencies & intensities used as TENS application.
- Theories of pain relief by TENS.
- Principle of clinical application, effects & uses, indications, contraindications, precautions, operational skills of equipment & patient preparation.
Electrical Reactions and Electro – diagnostic tests:
Electrical Stimuli and normal behavior of Nerve and muscle tissue.
Types of lesion and development of reaction of degeneration.
Faradic – Intermittent direct current test.
S.D. Curve and its application.
Chronaxie, Rheobase & pulse ratio.
Wavelength, frequency, types & sources of IRR generation, techniques of irradiation, physiological & therapeutic effects, indications, contraindications, precautions, operational skills of equipment & patient preparation.
Ultra – Violet Rays (UVR):
Wavelength, frequency, types & sources of UVR generation, techniques of irradiation, physiological & therapeutic effects, indications, contraindications, precautions, operational skills of equipment & patient preparation.
Dosimetry of UVR.
Paraffin wax bath, moist heat, electrical heating pads.
- Mechanism of production.
- Mode of heat transfer.
- Physiological & therapeutic effects.
- Indications, contraindications, precautions, operational skills of equipment & patient preparation.
To study the basic operation of electric supply to the equipment & safety devices.
To experience sensory and motor stimulation of nerves and muscles by various types of low frequency currents on self.
To locate and stimulate different motor points region wise, including the upper & lower limb, trunk free.
Therapeutic application of different low frequency currents faradic footbath, Faradism under pressure, iontophoresis.
To study the reactions of degeneration of nerves, to lot strength duration curves.
To find chronaxie and Rheobase.
To study a hydrocollator unit, its operations and therapeutic application of Hot packs – region wise.
To study the various types of Infrared lamps and their application to body region wise.
To study a paraffin wax bath unit, its operation and different methods of application – region wise.
To study the different types of Ultra violet units, their operation, and assessment of test dose and application – of U.V.R – region wise.
To study a TENS Stimulator, its operation and application –region wise.