Total Lecture: 100 Hrs
Exam time: 2 Hrs.
Total marks: 100
Oral / Practical: 30
- Basic terminologies used in Community Medicine including: Health, Public Health, Preventive Medicine, Community Health, Community Medicine, Infection, Inflammation, Epidemiology, Epidemic, sporadic, pandemic, incidence, prevalence, incubation period, antiseptic, disinfection, sterilization, isolation, notification, surveillance and quarantine.
- The concept of health, disease and causation of disease.
- Indicators of health.
- Introduction to the National health system in urban and rural areas.
- Personal hygiene.
- Epidemiology of infectious diseases:
- Ecological triad
- Transmission of disease
- Prevention and control of diseases
- Diseases spread through food, drink or poor hygiene: Diarrhoea, Cholera, Dysentery and Food poisoning.
- Air borne diseases: Diphtheria, Meningitis, Tuberculosis and methods of prevention and control.
- Insect borne diseases: Malaria, Dengue and methods of prevention and control.
- Contact diseases: Leprosy and methods of prevention and control.
- Other diseases: Tetanus, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and Hepatitis.
- Nutrition and nutritional disorders: Protein energy malnutrition (PEM), Goitre and Vitamin deficiency diseases- Vitamin A, B1, C, D, K, Nicotinic and Riboflavin.
Bacterial Diseases: – Tuberculosis, Leprosy, Rheumatic fever, Tetanus, Typhoid fever, Diphtheria, Pneumonia, Bacillary Dysentery and Measles.
Viral Diseases:– Herpes – simplex and zoster, Varicella, measles, hepatitis B & C, AIDS & influenza.
Metabolic and deficiency Diseases: Diabetes, Anemia, diseases of the endocrine glands.
Diseases of Digestive Systems: – Pharyngitis, spasm of the Oesophagus, Diverticulum stenosis, Gastric ulcer, Hemetemesis, Pyloric stenosis, Dyspepsia, Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Duodenal ulcer etc.
Disease of Liver:–.Jaundice Cirrhosis of liver, Abscess of liver, Ascitis.
Disease of Kidney: Polyuria, Hematuria, Uremia, Anuria, Nephritis, Urinary infections, Urinary calculi.
Diseases of Skin:– Characteristics of normal skin, abnormal changes, types of skin lesions.
Conditions – Leprosy, Acne, Boil, Carbuncles, Impetigo, Infections of skin, Herpes, Urticaria, Psoriasis, Skin disorders associated with circulatory disturbances, Warts, Corn, Defects in Pigmentation, Psoriasis, Leucoderma, Fungal infections, Alopecia, Dermatitis, Eczema, Skin – allergies, Venereal diseases.
- Primary Health Care.
- Extended Programme of Immunisation (EPI).
- Health Education.
- Family planning, principles and population control.
- Basic first aid principles and practice.
- Providing for patient Elimination: Giving and taking bed pan ,Urinal, Observation of stool, Urine, Sputum, Understanding of use and care of catheter.
- Method of giving nourishment: Feeding, Tube feeding, Drip, Transfusion.
- Care of rubber good: Observation, Reporting and recording Temperature, Respiratory rate and pulse. Sterilization and disinfection.
- Surgical dressing
- Parental administration of medicine: Injection. IV saline.