A seminar is a form of academic instruction, either at an academic instution or offered by a commercial or professional organization. It has the function of bringing together small groups for recurring meetings, focusing each time on some particular subject, in which everyone present is requested to actively participate. This is often accomplished through an ongoing Scratic dialogue with a seminar leader or instructor, or through a more formal presentation of research. It is essentially a place where assigned readings are discussed, questions can be raised and debates can be conducted
Seminar is an instructional technique of higher learning which involves paper reading on a theme and followed by the group discussion to clarify the complex aspects of the theme
Objectives are mainly divided into two types:-
- Cognitive objectives
- Affective objectives
- To develops the higher cognitive abilities that is analysis , synthesis and evaluation.
- To develop the ability of responding that is valuing, organizing etc.
- To develop the ability of keen observation, experience ,feeling and to present them effectively.
- To develop the ability to seek clarification and defend the ideas of other effectively.
- To develop the feeling to tolerate the opposite ideas of other.
- To develop the feeling of cooperation.
- To develop the emotional stability among the participants of seminar.
- To acquire a good manner of putting questions and to answer the questions of other effectives.
Roles of Seminar Technique
In organizing a seminar the following roles are performed:-
- PRESEDENT OR CHAIRMEN
- ROLE OF ORGANIZER
Responsibility of an organizer is to
- Plan and prepare the whole program of the seminar.
- To decide the theme
- Assign the parts of theme to different person
- He decides that who will be the speaker
ROLE OF PRESIDENT
- Direct the whole program and keeps the discussion on the theme of seminar
ROLE OF SPEAKER
- They prepare the topic thoroughly and Xerox copies of papers are prepared and distributed among the participants before the commencement of the topic so the participants should also prepare themselves for the topic.
- The speaker should be ready to define the questions
ROLE OF PARTICIPANTS
- participants should be well acquainted with theme.
- They should appreciate the performance of the speaker.
- They should be able to put questions and seek clarification
- There are 25 -30 participants in seminar.
ROLE OF OBSERVER
- Some guest and observers are also invited to observe the activity.
PROCEDURE OF SEMINAR
- Organizer select the theme and organize the seminar
- Chairman conduct the activities of seminar and direct the seminar on theme.
- Speaker speaks about the theme.
- Group discussion
- Participants seeks clarification and put
- Observers observe the activity of seminar.
TYPES OF SEMINAR
- Mini seminar
- Main seminar
- National seminar
- International seminar
- Mini seminar:-A seminar organized to discuss a topic in class is known as mini seminar.
- Main seminar:-such seminars are organized in departmental level or institutional level.
- National seminar:-it is organized by an association at national level.
- International seminar:-such seminars are organized by UNESCO and other international organizations.
ADVANTAGES OF SEMINAR METHOD
- Stimulation of thinking.
- Tolerance of other views develops.
- Cooperation with others develops.
- Openness of ideas occurs.
- Represents the norms of behaviours.
- It has great instructional values .
- Natural way of learning
LIMITATION OF SEMINAR
- Seminar cannot be organized on all the content of subject matter.
- Technique cannot be used in all levels of education
Seminar is a method of teaching mostly used for higher education. It is an instructional technique which involves paper reading on a theme. It includes the group discussion to clarify the complex aspect of theme. The students’ learns to develop the ability of keen observation of experience and feelings of tolerance to the opposite ideas of others.
1.)Basvanthappa.BT,Nursing Education,2nd :2009,Jaypee Brothers Medical Publisher Ltd,New Delhi,572-575
2.)Neerja.KP,Text Book of Nursing Education,1st :2003, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publisher Ltd,New Delhi,
3.)Kumar.N, Educational Technology Theory and Practice, 1st:2009, AITBS Publisher, Delhi,