Definition: pH is the negative logarithm of hydrogen ion concentration of a salutation to the base 10 where conc is expressed as mole/L.
pH = – log [H+] = log 1/ [H+]
So there is an inverse relationship between the pH & concentration. If the concincreases, pH decrease and vice versa.
- Maintenance of appropriate pH is necessary for homestasis.
- Maintenance of ECF between pH 7.35 and 7.45 is essential for health.
- Disturbance of acid base balance are diagnosed by measuring the pH of arterial blood and the content of venous blood.
- Blood < 7.35 cause acidosis which include diabetic ketoacidosis and lactic acidosis.
- Blood > 7.45 causes alkalosis which includw the vomiting of acidic gastric contents or treatment of certain diuretics.