Head cervical-Thoracic orthosis (HCTO) E.g. Halo orthosis, Yale brace, SOMI (Sterna occipital mandibular immobilizater), four posture brace
- Paralysis with or without fracture of the cervical spine.
- Cervical vertebral fracture with dislocation.
- Ease of application.
- A low complication rate, minimal patient discomfort and early patient mobilization.
- The SOMI is relatively comfortable to wear.
- Precise positional control and solid external stabilization of the cervical spine.
- For traumatic or chronic disorders requiring immobilization of the cervical spine.
- Cervical spine trauma or post surgery.
- The Yale orthosis is recommended for postsurgical protection of the middle and lower cervical spine and in select situation of spinal instability.
- Neural arch fractures of because flexion causes instability