Gentamicin:It is a member of aminoglycoside isolated from Micromonospora purpurea.It is effective against both gm +ve & gm –ve organism.
Mechanism of action
Gentamicin is a bactericidal antibiotic that works by irreversibly binding the 30S subunit of the bacterial ribosome, interrupting protein synthesis. This mechanism of action is similar to other Aminoglycosides
1) Infection with pseudomonas,proteus, enterobacter, klebsiella etc.
2) Gentamicin + Penicillin G→in subacute endocarditis by S.Viridance & enterococci.
3) Gentamicin + Nafcillin→in staph endocarditis.
4) Meningitis caused by gm(-ve) bacteria.
5) Serious gm(-)ve septicemia.
6) Abdominal & pelvic sepsis.
7) In case of surgical procedure.