Definition: The WHO has given the widely accepted definition of health, which is as follows: “ Health is a state of complete physical, mental & social well-being and not merely an absence of disease or infirmity, so that each citizen can lead a socially and occasionally productive life.”
New philosophy of health:
- Health is a fundamental human right.
- Health is the essence of productive life and not the result of ever increasing expenditure on medical care.
- Health is intersectoral.
- Health is an integral part of development.
- Health is central to the concept of quality of life.
- Health involves individuals, state and international responsibility.
- Health and its maintenance is a major social investment.
- Health is world-wide social goal.