Symptoms/Chief complain (C/C):
- The patient is often a girl aged of 15-30 years.
- There is aching pain deep in the knee, behind the patella.
- Pain aggravated by climbing up or descending stairs, getting up from squatting or chair.
- Occasionally locking sensation behind the patella.
Signs/On Examination (O/E):
- Tenderness present on deep surface of the patella after displacing it to one side.
- A fine crepitaiton is felt upon the patella.
- Weakness and wasting of the Quadriceps.
- One or Both patellae may be shifted medially.
- Compression of the patella against femoral condyle causes pain.
Investigation: X-ray knee joint “Skyline view” shows Erosion of articular cartilage of patella ‘Stripe’ like shadow behind the patella.
- Strengthening exercises for Quadriceps.
- Superio-inferior oscillations applied with compression to the patella.
- UST-over the patella.