Definition: Biochemistry can be defined as the science concerned with the chemical constituents of living cells and with the reactions and processes they undergo.
Importance of Biochemistyr in medicine:
- Health is depends on a harmonious balance of biochemical reactions.
- Diseases reflect he abnormalities in biomolecules, biochemical reactions & processes.
- Biochemical approaches are often fundamental in indicationg the causes of diseases and in designing the appropriate therapies.
- The use of biochemical tests is an integral component of diagnosis and monitoring of treatment.
- Physiology, immunology, pharmacology, toxicology and pathology depend on biochemistry.
- A sound knowledge of biochemistry & other related basic disciplines is essential for the rational practice of medical & related health sciences.